How To Clean a Spill on Your Rug
As your rug cleaning experts, we thought that we would share some of our tips and tricks for maintaining your area rugs at home. No matter how careful we all try to be, it is inevitable that at some point we will all have to deal with a stain or spill on our rugs. We receive a lot of calls from our customers asking us for advise on how to clean-up after a spill. So, here is a list of steps to follow:
1. Using a clean white towel, begin by blotting up the excess liquid that has spilled.
2. Gently pour a small (about one cap full) amount of club soda over the stain. The carbonation of the club soda helps to open up the fibers of the rug and release the stain. Again, blot up the stain with your clean white towel. Repeat if necessary. DO NOT OVER WET YOUR RUG. REMEMBER THAT LESS IS MORE!
3. Wipe the spill in the direction of the pile of the rug. DO NOT WIPE/SCRUB THE STAIN IN CIRCLES, BACK & FORTH OR AGAINST THE DIRECTION OF THE PILE.
4. If the stain from the spill is still visible, you can use a small amount of mild dish soap or mild hair shampoo on the spot. Apply one drop of soap/shampoo on the stain and wipe area with a clean white towel.
5. Rinse the area using a damp, clean white towel. Again, make sure to wipe in the same direction of the pile- do not wipe against the grain.
6. Blot the area with a dry, clean white towel.
7. End by wiping down the area in the same direction as the pile. Let air dry.
As always, if you are unable to remove the stain or it does not improve to your liking, give us a call at (970) 927-8541. The sooner you contact us, the better! Stay tuned for more tips and tricks for maintaining your area rugs at home.